National Legal Coordinator
Short summary of the job: UNDP Afghanistan’s long-term support to the
justice sector has entered a new phase with the start of the Access to Quality Justice
Services (AQJS) project. AQJS draws on the lessons learned through previous
UNDP justice projects– Strengthening the Justice System of Afghanistan (SJSA),
Access to Justice at District Level (AJDL) and Justice and Human Rights in
Afghanistan (JHRA) Phase I, phase II and AA2J.
AQJS Project was initiated in January 2020. The Project will leverage on the work undertaken in phase I, phase II of JHRA and AA2J and deepen the interventions at the national level and provincial levels and attempt to work across the justice sector, involving the rule of law service providers. The project should also establish links between UNDP’s work on justice and human rights and other relevant projects in the broader Rule of Law portfolio. This process of identifying strategic areas for future engagement and consultation with key stakeholders is supported by the AQJS project.
The project has 2 outcome areas:
· Afghan citizens, especially women and girls, have improved access to quality justice services.
· Justice and Judicial Institutions assisted to achieve their NJJRP (2017 – 2021) implementation plans
Supreme Court is one of the key partners of the project, where the project provides technical and financial supports to Supreme Court in different areas including conducting capacity building, consultations, awareness and coordination workshops.
Background on the Supreme Court of Islamic Republic of Afghanistan
Based on Afghan Constitution “The judiciary shall be an independent organ of the state of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan. The judiciary shall be comprised of one Supreme Court, Courts of Appeal as well as Primary Courts whose organization and authority shall be regulated by law. The Supreme Court shall be the highest judicial organ, heading the judicial power of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan” and has the authority of interpretation of Laws. Structure and jurisdiction of the Supreme Court has been prescribed under “The Law on Structure and Jurisdiction of Judiciary Power”.
Supreme Court is one of the main judicial institution and based on National Justice and Judicial Reform Plan, preparing and conducting professional capacity development programs for the staff and equipping them with sufficient equipment and facilities can enhance the capacity and proficiency of the justice and judicial institutions and make the conditions ready for realizing the rule of law, access to justice, provision of effective and qualified justice and judicial services and enhance the people’s trust in these institutions.
This plan mainly concentrates on justice and judicial institutions’ structural reforms, law reforms, capacity development programs, counter corruption, and establishment of transparency in their performance which will lead towards the achievement of the identified goals of this Plan that will be achieved by justice and judicial institutions.
Based on this national document, justice and judiciary institutions are obliged to develop their own implementation plan( action plan) in line with the justice and judiciary sector Reforms plan and report on their performance to second VP office as a responsible institution for cabinet justice and judiciary committee and justice and judiciary committee in the rule of law and anti – corruption high council in order to consolidate the reports and present one consolidated report to the rule of law and anti – corruption high council and office of the president.
Background on drafting
For realization of Reforms in the justice and judiciary sector, implementation of justice and judiciary sector Reforms plan is one of the main priorities of government of Afghanistan which will be complemented by action plan of each justice and judiciary sector institutions. In this regard, planning and policy and monitoring and evaluation departments within Supreme Court are the two key departments who are working under the direction of General Administrative Directorate of Judiciary, to develop action plan, capacity building plan and a M&E mechanism for trucking activities for butter implementation of NJJRP’s action plan. To this end under UNDP/AQJS AWP the project in close coordination with Supreme Court shall provide technical support to selected directorates of the AGO to build the capacity for effective implementation of NJJRP by development of related policies, conducting capacity building, consultation and awareness workshops.
Therefore, realization of these reforms and mechanism, could be enhanced by recruiting competent and qualified Legal expert (Legal Coordinator) with financial support of UNDP for 156 working days (6 months);
· to support drafting of related reforms action plan,
· Assist and coordinate Penal Code discussion workshops.
· Assist and coordinate consultation meetings and technical working groups on issues related to development of judicial policies
· Assist and coordinate related capacity building, monitoring and awareness workshops,
· develop report on performances, achievements and progress against the annual work plan,
· develop reports with analysis of activities in order to explore the gaps and recommend solutions,
· provide technical advices on drafting the related policies and internal strategies for the Supreme Court,
Expected Outputs and Deliverables
The Consultant will be responsible for the following tasks:
2- Assist and coordinate activities on conducting capacity building, awareness and consultation workshops, as are planned based on AWP;
3- Assist supreme court in preparation of need assessment and capacity development plan and related policies based on the needs of Supreme Court;
4- Assist and coordinate Supreme Court and AQJS joint activities under AWP;
5- Support gender unit of Supreme Court to develop related policies and conduct related capacity building, consultation and awareness workshops;
6- Provide technical assistance and strategic guidance to M&E Head and planning & policy director in regard to monitoring and evaluation;
7- Produce frequent monitoring and evaluation progress reports with status of results and implementation of improvements;
8- Assist supreme court on establishment of Anti-Harassment Committee and its related mechanisms;
9- Assist supreme court on mobilization of the related sources, in order to develop Supreme Court’s annual work plan,
10- support the Gender unit and provide on-job-training Staff on related issues, based on proper need assessment;
11- Coordinate with justice and judicial institutions (MOJ, AGO, MOWA and AIBA) on related activities toward development of gender justice strategy
12- Provide schedule for conducting consultation meetings and technical working group on development of gender justice strategy
13- Develop Proposals for LOTFA Project and other donors;
14- Assist and find solutions on challenges in implementation of Judiciary Power’s strategy; and closely coordinate all the tasks to the Judiciary Administrative Directorate
15- Any other related tasks, assigned by related authorities in line with rules, regulations and objectives of Supreme Court.
Deliverables / Outputs:
· Deliverable 1: 26 working days 16% Review existence policies and strategies, recommend improvements, and/ or where necessary develop further inputs.
· Deliverable 2: 26 working days 16% Conduct need assessment sessions, develop capacity building and implementation plans based on the needs of Supreme Court to develop inputs 2021 AWP;
· Deliverable 3: 26 working days 16% Assist gender unit to develop related polices, establishment of Anti-Harassment Committee and to conduct capacity building, consultation and awareness workshops;
· Deliverable 4: 26 working days 16% Assist and coordinate joint activities as per AWP related on implementation of consultation, monitoring, capacity building and awareness workshops;
· Deliverable 5: 26 working days 16% Assist preparation and coordination on conducting provincial level consultation workshops on discussing Penal Code provisions;
· Deliverable 6: 26 working days 20% Prepare and submit final report summarizing key results/achievements and recommendations for future action , analysis of annual implementation plan, identify challenges and obstacles and provide appropriate solutions, formulation of next year annual work plan and action plan based on lessons learned and success stories of last year work plan.
· Demonstrates commitment to Supreme Court mission, vision and values;
· Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
· Project implementation experience with the UN system is a strong asset;
· Strong organizational and reporting skills;
· Results oriented, strong team player with outstanding interpersonal and coordination skills;
· Ability to work independently;
· Strong managerial competency with experience in results-based management and results oriented approach to project implementation;
· Ability to establish substantive professional relationships with all stakeholders;
· Familiarity with post-conflict environments is an asset;
· Ability to provide advices, particularly in policy making;
· Ability to develop proposal and project documents;
· Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the office;
· Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills;
· Ability to provide top quality policy advice;
· In-depth practical knowledge of inter-disciplinary development issues;
· Good interpersonal and negotiation skills that allow for working productively as part of a larger team;
· Ability to use critical thinking, conceptualize ideas, and articulate relevant subject matter concisely;
· Excellent oral and written communication skills in English, Dari or Pashto;
· Ability to communicate effectively with and relate to people of different cultures, demonstrating an ability to see issues from other perspectives.
Knowledge Management and Learning
· Shares knowledge and experience;
· Actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
· Ability to perform a broad range of activities aimed at effective and efficient functioning of legislative and Judiciary committees;
· Confidentiality of Supreme Court;
Leadership and Self-Management
· Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
· Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
· Remains calm, in control and good humoured even under pressure;
· Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
· Fluency in Dari, Pashto and English is required
· With master’s degree 3 years of experience and with bachelor’s degree 4 years of experience in justice institutions service delivery, project implementation, developing policies, strategies, action plans, implementation plans, training materials, and/or providing legal trainings for national justice institutions;
· Demonstrate ability to work with legal documents and legal translation is a clear asset.
· Previous experience of working with legislative bodies, government officials, academics, CSOs etc.;
· Solid understanding of Results-Based Management;
· Experience in the usage of Microsoft office is required;
· Experience in the Rights-Based Approach to development Knowledge in both quantitate and qualitative research Knowledge
· Demonstrated ability in using diverse training methods and strategies.
Working under overall and direct supervision of General Administrative Directorate of Judiciary and regular reporting to UNDP/AQJS focal point. All payments will be made against the deliverables only against the approval of the AQJS project manger from UNDP, who will quality assure and review the deliverables submitted.
Duration of work: The total duration of this assignment will be
156 working days over the period of six months.
Education: Master’s degree or bachelor’s degree in Law/ Sharia, Public Law, Management and Administrations and Social Science. ,