National Consultant (Peacebuilding Training Expert)
Position Title: National Consultant (Peacebuilding, Conflict Resolution, Social Cohesion, Conflict
Sensitivity, Do No Harm Training Expert)
About Project: COVID 19 Response& Social Cohesion project started in 2020 observing the critical situation in Afghanistan due to spread of the COVID 19 pandemic and the impact of the pandemic on social life of Afghan people. Under this project UNDP aims to improve health system responses, integrate, and address communication and information gaps on the COVID-19 threat in Afghanistan. This project is intended to extend support to difficult-to-reach areas where the threat of COVID-19 spread is high due to lack of access and limited availability of basic health packages and preventative measures through the following five outputs. Output 1: The front-line COVID-19 defense and health sector response is strengthened; Output 2: Collective solutions on COVID-19, social, economic, and environmental crises is offered, through data modelling, socio-economic analysis and incentives to vulnerable groups; Output 3: Enhanced social protection coordination framework in place on COVID 19 and beyond; Output 4: Local governance institutions are strengthened to deliver services during Corona pandemic.; Output 5: Societal risks with different gendered impact posed by COVID-19 in the targeted communities are reduced through strengthening social cohesion and addressing issues related to COVID-19 stigma and discrimination.
Job Summary: Under the overall supervision of the Project Manager of Covid-19 Response and Social Cohesion Project and under the guidance of Assistant Resident Representative Peace Pillar, the individual consultant is expected to deliver capacity building programme on Peacebuilding, Conflict Resolution, Social Cohesion, Conflict Sensitivity and Do No Harm. The consultant should also support/train the partner CSOs on how to design, implement and monitor peacebuilding and conflict resolution programs and projects. In addition, support them to develop conflict, gender and COVID 19 sensitive programmes and projects.
1. Ensures provision of training workshop to partners CSOs, youth and women’s groups, research organizations, think tanks, and specialized institutions and the achievement of training targets and results, by conducting the following activities and results:
· Develop training package on Peacebuiding, Conflict Resolution, social cohesion, Conflict Sensitivity, Do No Harm and submit to project team for approval.
· Asses the existing capacity of the partner organization in terms of the subject matter to identify the gapes or weakness.
· Conduct series of training workshops and refreshers on the pre-approved topics related to Peacebuilding, Conflict Resolution, Social Cohesion, Conflict Sensitivity and DO No Harm (DNH) approaches to project partner staff.
· Support project partner on how to reach community elders, religious leaders, schoolteachers, women, and youth to promote social cohesion in the provinces and districts where there are protracted conflicts as well as refugee displacement crises
· Work with project partners on planning project activities and the achievements of respective project objectives.. Any other subject matter required, and relevant activities suggested by project team.
2. Ensure training beneficiaries uses training content practically during projects and programs implementation.
· Help partner organizations to think out of the box in terms of using the crisis as an opportunity for peacebuilding.
· Provide partners advises and with innovative activities and approaches.
· Closely monitor partner project activities and assess the project are on track and achieving the result.
· Practically work with partner organizations on how to do design, implement and monitor peacebuilding and conflict resolution, social cohesion projects and programs
· Assist partner organization on conflict sensitive programming and monitoring.. Help partner organization to develop future action plans
3. Ensure submission of effective and inclusive reports.
· Submit training report after each round of the training
· Submit a final report including recommendation for follow up and future action plan.
· Submit training pictures and other means for verifications of activities.
· Any other documentation as required by the programme Unit.
- Excellent written and oral English skills a necessary requirement.
- Excellent spoken and verbal skills of Pashto and Dari languages required.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism.
· Excellent team-playing, diplomatic and interpersonal skills.
· Able to involve other and believe on participatory approach
· Able to establish trustful relationships with governments, donors, non-government and international development organizations.
· Resourcefulness, initiative and maturity of judgment.
· Strong communication and advocacy skills, in particular ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, with a wide range of actors, within the UN system, with Government officials, traditional structures and civil society.
· Ability to work in a complex environment requiring liaison and collaboration with multiple actors.
· Ability to demonstrate sensitivity, tact and diplomacy.
· Excellent analytical, organizational and negotiation skills and excellent networking skills.
· Fulfils all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment.
Master’s Degree or equivalent in social sciences with a focus on peace and conflict studies, international relations, political science, development studies or a related field
Years of experience:
· 5 -7 years of progressively responsible experience in designing and implementing local level and/or national level peacebuilding, conflict analysis, conflict resolution and conflict sensitivity mechanisms and early warning programs related to conflict affected environments.
· Extensive experience in training and workshop facilitation of CSOs, particularly in the field of peacebuilding, conflict analysis, conflict resolution and conflict sensitive programming.
· Extensive experience in strategy and programme development; Experience working with CSO’s and communities; In-depth experience and understanding of conflict-sensitivity in Afghanistan.
· Excellent analytical and writing skills, including political/conflict analysis skills.
· A high degree of political and cross-cultural sensitivity; Understanding of the political, social, and cultural background of the country is greatly desirable.. Experience in enhancing women’s and youth participation in conflict analysis processes; Ability to speak in Pashto and Dari and English. Knowledge and understanding of the civil society dynamics in Afghanistan; Familiarity with relevant government policies, interventions, and structures in P/CVE.
Logistic and Administrative Support
The consultants will be given access to relevant information necessary for execution of the tasks under this assignment.
The consultant will be responsible for providing his/her own working station (i.e. secretariat, laptop, internet, phone, scanner/printer, etc.) and must have access to reliable internet connection.
The consultants are expected to be available for consultations and be in reliable email contact for a set number of hours that align with Government/UNDP business hours.
Confidentiality and Proprietary Interests
The Individual Consultant shall not either during the term or after termination of the assignment, disclose any proprietary or confidential information related to the consultancy service without prior written consent. Proprietary interests on all materials and documents prepared by the consultants under the assignment shall become and remain properties of UNDP.
- Contract Type: Fixed Term
- Contract Duration: 3 Months
- Salary: AS Per Company Salary Scale
- Job Location: Kabul, Afghanistan
- Extension Possibility: No